How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 42905
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about a ticket I got for speeding last

Customer Question

hello! I have a question about a ticket I got for speeding last year. I took it to a lawyer and they were able to get me defensive driving in order to dismiss the ticket. I've paid the fee's that I needed to pay to the court but i am passed the deadline to have turned in my defensive driving certificate as I have not been able to complete the course. I received a letter in the mail for a court hearing to explain why I was not able to complete the course. I am worried that the judge will suspend my license? this will be my first ticket that ive let it get this far. ive had two other speeding tickets in my life and have taken defensive driving for them and have completed them. So I guess you can say this is my first offense in letting it get this far...
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Lawyer will figure it out. Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I dont think so but i dont know for sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I have to pay anything for this service? any hidden fees?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
appreciate it!
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Write the judge here, be creative, school, illness, etc claiming good cause.Also you can take this online, tell them you will complete it within say 14 days, you print off the certificate.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

They will likely give you at least 30 days here to complete it and submit it.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and good luck.

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
assuming he doesn't grant me some more time to finish the driving course online, what can happen? just a hefty fee and the violation on my record? or can he suspend my license. I ask because I drive a company vehicle for work and cannot afford to get my license suspended..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Just the fine and fee here.But if you will write the letter they will give you at least 30 days I think,

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

It has been my experience the3y want to give you a chance here.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

I think you will be fine to give this a chance and complete it here.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Hopefully that should work. Well I already have a court date to speak to the Judge so I will give him the reasons for not completing it then.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You Mr. Ray
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

You are so welcome.Have a great evening and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.