Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a red light photo traffic violation ticket in…

Customer Question
I received a red...

I received a red light photo traffic violation ticket in Culver City. I have heard that Los Angeles Country is no longer enforcing red light photo violations and it is ok to ignor the ticket. I have not contacted the court yet. I am wanted to find out if it is correct that Los Angelese Country is no longer enforcing these tickets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Culver City, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

That's what I am trying to figure out. I've been told that Los Angeles County no longer enforces red light photo violations. If that is true then there there would be no reason to appear in count. The ticket does give me the option of paying or appearing in court. But again if Los Angeles County is not enforcing red light photos then there is no reason for me to pay it or appear in court

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
4/16/2017
Traffic Lawyer: Sierra900, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Sierra900
Sierra900, Attorney

I will try and help. As a foundational matter, we would never advise you to break the law or ignore a lawful summons. That said, there is at least some credence to what you say. See this link: http://highwayrobbery.net/redlightcamsdocsculvmain.htm On balance, here is the City's website: http://www.culvercitypd.org/photoenforcement.html

If you google the issue you will see that there is a host of information that suggests that Culver City is still enforcing these tickets. If it was sent to you by a court, then it is likely they are enforcing it. If you ignore it what happens? Unclear.

I simply cannot give you a good answer either way. If you ignore it nothing may happen. It is unlikely that a warrant will be issued for you arrest, but sooner or later you may get a larger bill from them or the DMV with late fees. Your CDL might also be suspended for failure to appear, kicking off a host of new problems.

The short answer, and my advice, would be to pay the ticket. If the would not have enforced it, then you overpaid by hundred bucks or so. If you don't, and they were enforcing it, you will overpay by many hundreds.

I hope this helps.

DCG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, that's what I found on google to before contacting you. If I appear in court does an office have to appear and if amn office does not appear will the ticket be dismissed?

Yes, someone for a prosecution will have to appear. This would probably be an officer that made out the ticket based on the camera image. If there is no appearance by an officer, the court will dismiss the matter.

DCG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. Is there any downside to appearing in court?

No. In fact, appearing is a good thing. Stand your ground and stand up to yourself.

DCG