Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

You're right - the yellow light is way too short. Complete

You're right - the yellow light is way too short. Complete injustice.
I'm overly cautious about yellow lights, yet I still got a camera ticket at the Rosecrans/Hindry intersection.
This is such a cash cow for the City of Hawthorne! ;-)
If I were to contact local litigation attorneys about spearheading a class action, do you have any advice?
Also, I made the mistake of contacting the Court. Then, due to some misinformation, I thought I could ignore the ticket...
The day after my fine and traffic school were due, they issued an invoice for an extra $479 for "failure to pay."
Do you think I can somehow get out of the extra $479 late fee?
Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This question was in reference to this post:
http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/a75bed52cd7d434394ac23b267fd5ab8
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, while LA County is not enforcing red light camera tickets, once you contested it, you opened yourself up to having the video showed and if it showed you crossing the light on red, this is a very tough case to defend. If your attorney did an improper job in defending you, that is between you and your attorney and you can sue him for malpractice to seek to recover the amount of the fine you were forced to pay based on his negligent representation.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. This light (Rosecrans/Hindry) is set up to give law abiding citizens tickets..As the attorney mentioned in the post I referenced, you could go through on green and technically "run a red light."I ate at Blaze Pizza (at the intersection) the other night and could not believe how frequently the cameras went off.Any advice on filing a class action against the city?Here is some further documentation about Hawthorne and this particular light:http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlightcamsdocsHawthMain.htmlAlso, did you see my question about getting the extra $479 (on top of the $500 I owe) waived? That fine seems a bit steep for one day late... ��Thanks!
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, according to them one day late is still late, so the only way to try to get it waived is arguing and proving that you put it in the mail before the due date and as such you should not be liable. However if you did not make the payment until actually one day late, they will not waive the late fee.
What you can do if you have video showing the time on the light from green to red is too short (remember yellow, running a yellow light under CA law carries the same penalty as running a red light) and does not give enough time and you can file a civil suit against the city for having the light with improper timing. But that is your only real recourse.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The main reason I asked on this site is because I thought I would be asking the attorney who shared info on the page I referenced. He seems to know about class actions being filed in other cities for the same reason. I'm curious if they were a success, and whether I'd need to pay attorneys to sue Hawthorne so they'll be more "reasonable" with the timing. Is there a way to get in touch with him? Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm referring to the timing of the "yellow" light. By the way, it's been very helpful to talk to you.
Thank you for your reply.
Just because there is a class action in one city over something similar, that will not help in your case. Class actions also start with one person like you filing suit first and then showing that their timing is incorrect and once you prove that in court, you can collect your damages and force the city to fix the issue. That is not an attorney who wrote that link, that is a citizen just like you who is fed up. However, you will need to actually use your information and proof and file suit in court, which is something the poster of that link has not done, if you want action to make a change.