RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in numerous areas of the law.
18284290

Are you therer, ok I am in california had a violation in

Customer Question

are you therer
JA: No. I'm the Traffic Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: ok I am in california had a violation in florida $200 ticket going 84 in a 70
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in California but the offrence occurred in florida
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no I could traffic school but only make sense if I have no points at the end not sure if that happens
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it - it was very dark night but quiet highway
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Both California and Florida belong to the Driver's License Compact, so each state will share with the other ticket information. Your home state will then decide whether to assess points. The California Department of Motor Vehicles assesses negligent operator points for traffic convictions California drivers receive in other states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Under Vehicle Code 13363 , the department determines whether the same violation, if committed in California, would be assessed negligent operator point count or would be grounds for suspension or revocation.

In Florida, 14 mph over results in a fine of $204, plus 3 points. It looks like it would be 1 point in California, but 4 points in a year would result in a license suspension (similar to Florida, where 12 points in a year results in a license suspension).

As you said, taking a traffic school class (online or in person) is a good way to go to keep that point from affecting your insurance.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed about this question?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!