How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116837
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dui in north Carolina. I went through the courts

Customer Question

I have a dui in north Carolina. I went through the courts and is all clear. Now they want me to go through alcohol classes even though this happened in 2006
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: It happened in North Carolina.I am currently trying to get licence in Mass.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: NO. I have a fine.which is no big deal and I have to go get an alcohol assessment in person and then send back so they can approve or whatever. Which could take 16 weeks if I have to finish class before they drop my block on licence
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would be fine with just a hardship licence but 16 weeks when I need my licence for work is insane. when this is back in 2006.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The alcohol classes are an administrative penalty imposed by DMV not by the court. So until you satisfy all of the NC requirements, MA will not issue a release on the license. You can file an appeal to NC DMV regarding you no longer living in the state and ask if you can take the classes online or if they will waive the requirements, but this would require you to engage an attorney in NC if you are now residing in MA.
MA cannot issue any type of license though until you clear this, including a hardship license. You have no legal alternatives than settling this with NC.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.