Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

What will happen if my friend drove my car without a

Customer Question
license? I was sick &...
What will happen if my friend drove my car without a license? I was sick & I let my friend drive my car, she got pulled over & was handed a notice to appear in court, she's currently fighting for asylum... Will she face deportation?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Traffic Law
12/30/2016
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 10 months ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do you know why she got pulled over? Also, is she not able to obtain a license?

She had her hazards lights on while driving & she can't obtain her license since she has nobody to get it for her.

Thank you for the reply. What State is this in?

Florida

In Florida, this is a traffic criminal offense. It is viewed slightly lower then a misdemeanor but is still a criminal offense. In this case, it MAY subject her to deportation. However, that is between her and the US Government and the court is not likely going to get involved. If she takes a plea deal and resolves this, she will even be warned, that it could subject to her deportation but if this is her only offense, it should not really effect her chance at citizenship. If she continues to drive, then it will be an issue, since she would continuously be violating the law.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

there's a chance of deportion? This is her only offense.

Chance? Yes but it is highly unlikely for something like this. It is not a violent crime or a felony, so I do not think she would get deported or it would be at issue but she needs to be aware if it continues, she could have issues.

Will this go on her record? Will it show up if they search her name?

Yes, it would. It is a traffic criminal violation, so it would be seen. As I shared though, it is relatively minor, even though it is a criminal offense.

Si driving without a valid license will have a low chance of getting deported? Is there anyway that it can be expunged

I do not think she will get deported for this, if it was her first offense. Even if this was expunged, immigration would still be able to see it, so it would not make a difference.

CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney