How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 558
Experience:  Private practice
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a speeding ticket in mound city, il and have to

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket in mound city, il and have to appear in court, but the officer stated that i was doing 100 in a 70 which was not true. he was very unprofessional and I just answered him by saying yes, sir because i was scared and many black people have been killed for no good reason. now I was speeding but not what he said and i would like to know why would i have to show up in court when i live 2 and a half hours from the place. is there any thing i can
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois mound city
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no but they have something on the website where many people have complained about how they were given tickets for speeding and was told to show up for court or hire an attorney which the cost was 200 for the attorney and(###) ###-####for the speeding ticket
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 8 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The reason which they are requiring your appearance, isa result of the alleged speed, which was 30 mph over the limit. I know that you were not going that speed but it is what was alleged, that the court is using to require this and when you appear, you can contest the speeding violation as a whole or go after the alleged speed, which was stated, which was lower then what was claimed. If you want to fight this, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Traffic Law Questions