Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

To whom it may concern: I have a CDL, and I would really

Customer Question
To whom it may concern: Hello, I...
To whom it may concern:
I have a CDL, and I would really like to avoid any charges or permanant marks on my record if possible.
I was pulled over for speeding on my motorcycle in Colorado a few weeks ago. The officer wrote the ticket for 87mph in a 60mph zone. Even more concerning to me, when I failed to provide a valid registration, the officer told me the plate on my bike was actually registered to one of my other motorcycles! When I was issued the ticket, there was an additional charge "displayed fictitious plates" 42-3-121 (1)(b) written by hand at the bottom of the offense column.
Both charges show "summons" under the fine column. From my research it appears that the 2nd charge is a CLASS 2 MISDEMEANOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE.
Does that sound correct?
If so, could an attorney help my situation?
Thank you in advance for any help!
Sincerely,
Scott
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/11/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Displaying fictitious license plates is a Class 2 Misdemeanor Traffic Offense punishable by 10 days to 90 days in jail and a fine of $150 to $300 plus court costs and community service. You could also get probation.

Assuming there was just a mistake as to he license plates then this is the type of case that the prosecutor isn't going to get too upset about and if you get a lawyer then there is a good chance they can get a deferred adjudication or a pretrial diversion which will keep it off of your record.

Of course, a lot depends on the judge and some judges are much, much tougher to deal with than the others. If you go to hire a lawyer they can tell you what your chances are with that judge and at that point you can make a decision on whether it is a worthwhile investment of your money.

If you don't have a lawyer then you can find one by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Criminal Law" or Traffic Law". Traffic Law is really a type of criminal law but usually attorneys who advertise that specialty spend more time inth e traffic courts.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney