How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern: I have a CDL, and I would really

Customer Question

To whom it may concern:
I have a CDL, and I would really like to avoid any charges or permanant marks on my record if possible.
I was pulled over for speeding on my motorcycle in Colorado a few weeks ago. The officer wrote the ticket for 87mph in a 60mph zone. Even more concerning to me, when I failed to provide a valid registration, the officer told me the plate on my bike was actually registered to one of my other motorcycles! When I was issued the ticket, there was an additional charge "displayed fictitious plates" 42-3-121 (1)(b) written by hand at the bottom of the offense column.
Both charges show "summons" under the fine column. From my research it appears that the 2nd charge is a CLASS 2 MISDEMEANOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE.
Does that sound correct?
If so, could an attorney help my situation?
Thank you in advance for any help!
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Displaying fictitious license plates is a Class 2 Misdemeanor Traffic Offense punishable by 10 days to 90 days in jail and a fine of $150 to $300 plus court costs and community service. You could also get probation.

Assuming there was just a mistake as to he license plates then this is the type of case that the prosecutor isn't going to get too upset about and if you get a lawyer then there is a good chance they can get a deferred adjudication or a pretrial diversion which will keep it off of your record.

Of course, a lot depends on the judge and some judges are much, much tougher to deal with than the others. If you go to hire a lawyer they can tell you what your chances are with that judge and at that point you can make a decision on whether it is a worthwhile investment of your money.

If you don't have a lawyer then you can find one by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter "Criminal Law" or Traffic Law". Traffic Law is really a type of criminal law but usually attorneys who advertise that specialty spend more time inth e traffic courts.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.