How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2015 Igot a vehicles for my grand daurther she paid for

Customer Question

2015 Igot a vehicles for my grand daurther she paid for insurance but the truck is my name.what I need to do make everything legal.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: texas .the is 2015
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no do I need to be policy
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that all.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You may allow your granddaughter use of the Truck that is in your name. There is nothing wrong with that. The vehicle does have to be insured, which she can pay for if that is the arrangement that you want.

If you would like her to have the vehicle in her own name, you can transfer the Title to her as a gift with no sales tax since she is family.

OR if you want to wait you can redo the Title to a Title on Death so that the vehicle transfers directly to your grand daughter in the event of your death.

The Department of Motor Vehicles can assist you with both of the above.

see here:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.


I saw that you were trying to send a follow up question.

It is OKAYthat she is paying the monthly payments. YOu can transfer the tite to her, BUT you will have to get the lender to trnasfer the debt OR your grand daughter will need to get a loan in her own name.

If she can't qualify on her own perhaps you would be willing to co-sign on the loan.

OR if the vehicle is paid off and you are acting as her bank you can have a lien placed on the title in your favor.

I'm not 100% certain of your exact situation so I have tried to give you all the alternatives.

Good luck.

(Please do not forget to rate me - click the five stars. IT adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.)