How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I changed lanes (in Texas) with my blinker on. I was then

Customer Question

I changed lanes (in Texas) with my blinker on. I was then pulled over and given a citation for not using my blinker (turn signal). What do I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

If it were me, I would just opt for deferred adjudication as set forth on the back of your ticket and pay a fine and take defensive driving so that this does not affect your driving history and insurance premiums. Plus the defensive driving may help you save money on auto insurance premiums.

The next option is to contest the ticket yourself without a lawyer. You will need to go to court and the judge will either rule against you or dismiss the ticket depending on whether he believes you or the police officer more. If you lose this may affect your insurance premiums for a few years. It's a gamble to say the least.

The next option is to hire a criminal defense lawyer that specializes in traffic citations to try to fight this for you. They will try to keep rescheduling the court hearing until a date when the police officer cannot come testify and the seek a dismissal. The time and money you spend to do this may exceed the deferred adjudication option and it is still a gamble; but less of one than doing it without a lawyer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Related Traffic Law Questions