Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

We are Canadians spending under 6 months at our home in

Customer Question
Naples. We would like to...
We are Canadians spending under 6 months at our home in Naples. We would like to bring a 2015 Ford Escape and leave the vehicle in Florida permanently which we intend to insure in Florida.
Is there a procedure to follow.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes. The following has to be done to do so.

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

1. Go to the nearest Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle office.
  2. Bring one's car title, proof of ID and auto insurance card.
  3. You will need to have a VIN inspection and odometer reading completed at a participating mechanic shop before going to the DHSMV.
  4. Pay the initial $225 vehicle registration fee, title fees, plate fees, and taxes.

Local Tax Collector's Office

1. This is for registration,
  2. Bring the following documentation with you when getting your car registration,
    • Valid Florida drivers license
    • Proof of Florida car insurance
    • Your out-of-state car title
  3. Fill out the Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification Form HSMV 82042.
  4. Bring a signed and completed Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (Form HSMV 82040).
  5. Pay a registration fee.

Your vehicle should now be registered in Florida.

Note that depending on the specifics, nuanced other steps may also be required.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks but the information is very general and obtainable on line. Canadians can no longer get a Florida driver's license without a social security number.
I thought you would supply me with either an auto title company in Naples like Boca Title on the East Coast.
The information is still confusing as to the number of steps that I may or may not have to take and are not specific enough.
I can get the same but more specific information at the DHSMV office.
My apologies. I do not see anywhere in your original question where you are asking to be recommended an auto title company. I would have been happy to do so.
I will opt out of the question, then. All the best.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Ely.
Ely, Attorney