How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal Your Own Question
legal, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 9971
Experience:  General Practitioner. Research Attorney
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. I was in a car accident on April 24th.

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a question. I was in a car accident on April 24th. Now when the accident happened I didn't see the other person right away and they ended up colliding into my car. Now I believe the other driver was going way too fast on the road if she wasn't able to stop her car in time. I admit that I was trying to merge into another lane so that's why I didn't see the person. Months later I get a call from some company that says that the other persons insurance company is threatening my drivers license as in suspending it if I don't pay them. I don't have insurance. So should I just pay them and get it over with? If not. How do I fight this?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: It was in Delaware and I haven't consulted with a lawyer yet. I just want to know if I should or just pay for the damages.
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I haven't received a letter stating that I have to appear in court as of this moment.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all that I can think of right now.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  legal replied 10 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legal replied 10 months ago.

Under the Financial Responsibility Act a person must have insurance or face a $1500-2000 fine and a 6 month suspension. The department will send a notice requesting proof of insurance; if the person cannot provide that they will be charged.

If the person is in an accident, the other party may report the lack of insurance to the city/state, which can they pursue the abov fines/suspension. The other party alone cannot do this.

If one is at fault for the accident, and they do not have insurance they will be responsible for damages to the other car, plus attorney fees, so many people will choose to settle out of court to avoid the possibility of fines/supsension, and to avoid attorney fees. Also, a court judgment negatively impacts one's credit. Many people will agree to a reasonable payment plan, provided that the requested damages are reasonable.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legal replied 10 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.