How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

I left it in a body shop and can't find the owner and place is closed.
Please don't tell me to place a stolen car report. I need to know how to find out if they moved and run a LIEN on other state?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to contact CA DMV and request a duplicate title and title check, since you are the last registered owner, you are entitled to do so. If there was any lien or action against the vehicle, it would show up when you go to DMV for the duplicate title and title search and if somehow it was illegally changed you could then find the information as to where it was changed and pursue the person who closed down and took your vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I contacted DMV already
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there where insurance will look for if car is stolen?
Thank you for your reply.
What happened when you contacted them?
Your insurance company will not actually look to see if a car is stolen, you would have to report it stolen to the police and they would put it in the computer system and then anyone caught driving it or trying to register it would trigger a police investigation and seizure of the car.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Than, IF IS IN OTHER STATE, insurance won't look thru VIN #
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

All the insurance company looks for is if the person has a valid registration or title.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I check on insurances with vin #?
Thank you for your reply.
You can call your insurance company, but that is the only way, there is no other way to do it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Call and tell them what?
Call and tell them you are trying to locate the vehicle information and you can ask them if they have information on it in their system, but most times they really will not have it. You can also try CarFax if the car was taken for repairs anywhere, they could have information on who brought it in for repairs. You are really searching for a needle in the haystack at this point if DMV has no information for you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Carfax then will be my next option,
Thank you for your reply.
Well, other than those avenues, there are no other realistic options I am afraid. DMV was the best option because in order to change title or obtain title it had to go through DMV and they would have records.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you