How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118236
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm gonna buy a used car from someone in Connecticut. What

Customer Question

I'm gonna buy a used car from someone in Connecticut. What paperwork should be provided to me from the seller so that I can register it in NY?. What should I look for and beware of? Should I get copy of their driver's license?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to transfer title to NY, you need a notarized bill of sale from the seller and they need to fill out and sign the title to you. You need the notarized bill of sale, signed title, most recent registration paper and proof of insurance to register the vehicle in NY and obtain a new title in your name.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We're can I get a copy of the bill of sale for him to fill out? Does he sign and notarize it or me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Actually CT has their own bill of sale form which would be acceptable in NY, here it is and it does not have to be notarized:
I would fill out two copies and have him sign BOTH so you can keep one in a safe place and have an extra copy.