How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 26819
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received. 1,000.00 parking in Santa Rosa CA while driving

Customer Question

I received. 1,000.00 parking in Santa Rosa CA while driving my Mother's car, registered in AZ. When I excited the car there was Tim eon the meter, I overstayed the time...ran out to put money in the meter, already had a ticket, but not for expired meter but for an expired disabled plackard...I did not put the disabled plackard down. It must have slipped out of the visor when I closed the door. It was hanging down when I got into the car but I didn't use it. The fine for this is 1000.00? I opened the ticket at home so I could pay the 35.00 fine for expired meter. I was shocked at the ticket and went on line to explain the mixup. I was denied and they now want the 1000.00 in two weeks. The car I should not mine and is not registered in Ca. What will happen if I just don't pay it?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

States have ways of getting your attention when you fail to pay their tickets. They issue a warrant for the unpaid fines, and if that doesn't work they suspend your driving privileges. Then, when you find you're without a valid license, you will have to go back and pay the fine -- plus interest and penalties -- before you can drive again anywhere.

If you have a valid placard that was never expired, and you can plead not guilty and still fight this case, that's what you should do. If there's no longer any option for that, pay the fine or risk an ultimate suspension.

I'm sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This seems like a canned answer...the car is not mine. The placard was expired and the owner of it is deceased. It fell from the visor, I did not "use" it go get out of paying 25 cents to park. The expired meter fee us 35.00. 1,000.00 seems high for this since I DIDN'T use it..I paid at the meter but stayed too long. The car is registered in AZ to my Mom and I have a CA drivers license. What is the counties recourse if the ticket is not paid?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

The answer's not canned and I have told you what will happen. I did misunderstand what you said about the placard. I thought you meant the unexpired one fell down -- meaning nothing was displayed. I apologize.

As to the rest, a defendant has two choices when he gets a ticket -- go to court and fight the case or plead guilty and pay the fine. If you do nothing and they did not issue the ticket to you personally but just left it on the car, they will issue a warrant and eventually suspend your mother's license, since the car is registered in her name and the ticket will follow the car.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.