ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I RECEIVED A RED LIGHT VIOLATION IN THE STARE OF ILLINOIS

Customer Question

I RECEIVED A RED LIGHT VIOLATION IN THE STARE OF ILLINOIS BUT MY LICENSE IS FROM THE STATE OF INDIANA. WILL I RECEIVE POINT OFF OF MY DRIVERS LICENSE/
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's possible if they learn about it. With the advancement of technology and the Driver’s License Interstate Compact, states openly communicate with one another about convictions against out-of-state-offenders that happened within their borders. Even if the violation isn’t an exact match in Indiana, the BMV will find a similar offense and assess a point valuation based on the seriousness of the infraction. The Driver’s License Interstate Compact is a law that requires a driver's state to penalize him/her for an out-of-state offense. And both Indiana and Illinois are signatories to the law.

So assuming that Indiana will find out about this (which it probably will unless you can get it disposed of without trial or win the case, etc...) then it will apply their own statute for running a red light and apply the points against your Indiana license.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Hello?

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up/down/left/right so that you can see them. Again, please note that you have to click the rating and submit it for the question to close out and for me to get credit for the answer I provided.