LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

I live in Chicago, and just received my 3rd red light camera

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Chicago, and just received my 3rd red light camera ticket violation at the same intersection. The first was dismissed, the second one I just paid, and the third just came in the mail today. Each of these violations took place in July. The one I received today was from July 30th. Does the village of Crestwood, the suburb who issued the ticket, have a legal obligation to send these tickets out before 60 days? I had not gotten a red light ticket in over 10 years...
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois..
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Do you mean about the tickets in general?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no...
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Lynn,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under IL law, the issuing authority of the citation must mail the notice to you within 30 days after the Secretary of State notifies the municipality or county of the identity of the owner of the vehicle, but in no event later than 90 days after the violation. Here is a link to the law: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K11-208.6See section (d).

So if the citation date was more than 2 months ago, it is possible that it is late and therefore not valid. To determine that you will have to ask the court for a trial and demand to know the date that the Secretary of State notifies the municipality or county of your identity.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug