Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

Have you dealt with Ga traffic laws? No but I'm not sure if

Customer Question

Have you dealt with Ga traffic laws?
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No but I'm not sure if I should have to pay this fine the way the law reads...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I received a ticket in GA (which I'm a resident currently), for my truck which is registered in MN. The cop could not find any information that night on my plates so he wrote me a ticket 40-2-8.1 because the stick was not in place because of the story I told him. Can they write me a ticket for another state plate that they have no jurisdiction of since the GA code section state "This state"
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: GA auto bot!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes. Police of any jurisdiction has the authority to cite a vehicle for any violations, as long as, vehicle is being operated in the jurisdiction where the police officer is sworn in and has police powers.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok maybe I was not specific enough could I be convicted of this charge since the state code reads "This state" in the GA code and not any state?

Thank you for your follow up.

That would generally mean the same state where the citation was issued and would not give any real legal grounds to contest the validity of the citation based on the fact that police officer wrote "this state" instead of GA Code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not saying the citation the police officer wrote said "this state". What I'm referring to is the Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 2 - REGISTRATION AND LICENSING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 40-2-8.1 - Operation of vehicle without revalidation decal on license plate
O.C.G.A. 40-2-8.1 (2010)
40-2-8.1. Operation of vehicle without revalidation decal on license plateNotwithstanding Code Section 40-2-8 or any other provision of law, a person who operates a vehicle which is required to be registered in THIS STATE and which has attached to the rear thereof a valid numbered license plate without having the required revalidation decal affixed upon that plate, which person is otherwise guilty of a misdemeanor for not having such decal affixed to the plate, shall be subject for that offense only to a fine not to exceed $25.00 if that person shows to the court having jurisdiction of the offense that the proper revalidation decal had been obtained prior to the time of the offense.My vehicle is not required to be registered in this state since my vehicle was in this state at the time less than 30 days .

Thank you for your follow up.

How long have you been a resident of GA and do you have GA driver license?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I been a GA resident and licensed driver for 2 years or less but my truck has been in MN at my mother residents since 2-3 weeks before the ticket. I had violated no registration laws due to the vehicle not being in this state for over 30 days and do not wish to register the vehicle in state due to it being my MN vehicle when I visit my mother (she also uses it in MN). I just needed my truck for a short period of time (less than a month) in state to do work.

Thank you for your follow up.

Was your vehicle registered to your name?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vehicle is registered in my name.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the vehicle is required to be registered at the primary resident of the person who it is registered to, so my answer would remain the same and the vehicle that is owned and registered by a person who has primary residence in GA and also is licensed in GA, would be subject to all of the GA registration requirements, even if the vehicle is currently registered in another state somehow.

So, it is important to make sure that the vehicle registration under similar circumstances complies with GA Code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank the information you sent was helpful! but chance for educational purposes can the ticket be thrown out if there was minor issues on the ticket?

Thank you for your follow up.

It would depend on whether any issues / errors on the ticket would be considered serious enough to render ticket invalid and simple mistakes, such as misspelling of a name or date or birth, etc... would not be grounds to get the ticket dismissed based on the such minor errors.

I wish you the best of luck!