How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Kal Your Own Question
Legal-Kal, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 584
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Legal-Kal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got a speeding ticket in the state of Delaware for

Customer Question

I just got a speeding ticket in the state of Delaware for going 46 in a 35 mile zone. I have NEVER had a speeding ticket. I have two questions - will this affect my driving record. Will I get points.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Delaware
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: It doesn't say anything about appearing in court although the officer said I could request for probation before judgement.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My seatbelt was on and I don't have any history of speeding. This literally is my first speeding ticket and it was only 11 miles above the speed limit going over a bridge.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. Please remember that all information provided here is for general purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Delaware allows a speeding ticket to be paid through a voluntary assessment. Essentially, voluntary assessment is a form of a plea where, if the individual is eligible, allows the individual to avoid being assessed any points for the violation.

In order to be eligible for voluntary assessment, the individual must not have had any prior moving violation within the prior three years before getting the ticket AND the the speeding ticket must be for 14 MPH or less.

Here is a link to a publicly available website that describes how/where to send payment with regard to a voluntary assessment (it is important to note that there are different types of voluntary assessment centers, so looking at your ticket would be most helpful to determine which center applies):

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

Questions based on this? If so, please ask!

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information to individuals until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 11 months ago.

I see you have read my question.

If you have questions or need clarification, please ask and I'd be happy to answer at no charge.

If not, please remember that experts here assist those on a good faith basis. If you have no other questions, please do not forget that experts here assist individuals as a source of income and not a hobby. With this in mind, please remember to click accept and rate with three stars or higher the assistance provided. This will also ensure future assistance (as it looks like many of your questions have timed out in the past without ratings).

Thank you.

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to click accept and rate the assistance.