Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I have a very old ticket from ca that is keeping me from

Customer Question
getting my licence in oregon...
I have a very old ticket from ca that is keeping me from getting my licence in oregon. i called them and found that it is old enough to be "purged" without paying the fine. i was given a phone number, but the recording just went in a loop. i live out of state. how can i get that done, and what is the quickest way to get my reinstatement fee paid. I urgently need by licence by oct 5th
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
9/22/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA DMV rules any unpaid ticket that is over 5 years old is automatically purged and disregarded when a person goes in and applies for a new license. So if your license was suspended or held because of this citation and it has been more than 5 years, CA DMV is supposed to disregard the citation and make you pay a reinstatement fee and obtain your license. If they refuse to do so when you go into DMV, you would obtain an administrative appeal form at the DMV and file for an administrative hearing with their hearing division and schedule a hearing where the hearing officer would order the citations over 5 years old to be purged from your record and would order reinstatement.

If you are out of state, you would have to go to CA DMV in person still because you have to appear to pay the reinstatement fee and get the CA license reinstated before the hold is released to get your license in another state.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thank you. When I spoke to the DMV last week, the woman on the line told me it would be possible for somebody else to go to the DMV and pay the reinstatement fee in my name for me. Do you know of any reason that is not possible?

Thank you for your reply.
You can send a local attorney there to pay the fee or someone who has your signed power of attorney if you like, but they prefer the license holder go in person.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney