Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

My driver's license was revoked in IL for a DUI in 2000.

Customer Question

My driver's license was revoked in IL for a DUI in 2000. Never needed to drive in Chicago since the public transit is reliable and comprehensive so never bothered to reinstate my privileges. I'm moving to Denver in 10 days and I'm wondering if I will be able to obtain a driver's license there with a revocation in Illinois.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. Can you please share with me the basis of the revocation in IL? I know you shared it was from a DUI but did you only receive one? If so, is this just a suspension at this time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was only one DUI. But the license is revoked, not suspended. There were no other circumstances involved with the DUI either. No accident, property damage or injury/loss of life. I was 21 years old and I was given the DUI in Virginia and paid all fees and took classes in Virginia.

Thank you for the reply but something seems to be missing. I say this because if you only received one DUI, your license should not be revoked, to where you could not get it back. A suspension happens as a result but unless someone was killed as a result of this DUI or there were other mitigating factors, it should have only resulted in a suspension.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing is missing. I've given all the facts.

Thank you. You can proceed and try and get the license reinstated. I say this because it must be done if you want to obtain a license in Denver. When you relocate in Denver, they would check the data base and see it was revoked and would not be able to issue you a license with the revocation in effect. However, I have provided a link below that outlines the steps you need to take to make this happen, which should allow you to obtain the license, thereafter.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/dsd_dc88.pdf