How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118811
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lost the titles to my boat, motor and trailer as well

Customer Question

I have lost the titles to my boat, motor and trailer as well as the bill of sale for each. I purchased the boat, motor and trailer in 2012. The finance company I purchased them from has had a huge turnover in personnel and no one knows anything about the boat, motor or trailer. I'd like to get a legal title and numbers for my boat so I can use it. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry to tell you, but you bear the burden of proving ownership and if you have none of the documentation proving ownership, you have the responsibility for obtaining it. If you never registered them initially or transferred title to your name when you obtained it from the finance company and the seller has no records (you need to speak to a supervisor), the sole remaining option I am afraid requires you hiring a local attorney and filing a "complaint to quiet title" in the court and serving the last registered owner and finance company a copy of the suit. Once you do so, you have to then bring in any bank or payment records to court to show you paid for the boat and the court has to issue an order to issue title in your name.