Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I got charged with a GS 20-141 J1, Not yet, Yes, I was at a

Customer Question

I got charged with a GS 20-141 J1
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was at a speed of 76 in a 55 mph zone
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

It is very difficult to defend a charge such as this as it is based on the police officer's testimony that you were going both 15 miles over the speed limit and over 80 miles mph. The only way to do this is to somehow find a way for the officer not to show up or show a reason that the officer is lying (very very unlikely). Your charge is a class 3 misdemeanor, and if convicted, the dmv could suspend your license under 20-16 and your insurance rates would increase substantially. The only viable option is to get the charge or speed reduced, based mostly on your clean driving record. This will work best if you retain an attorney and you will probably have to take a defensive driving class approved by the DA's office, either online or in person (cost about $60), and do community service (1 hr./mph over). To answer your question, my best advice to you is for you to hire an attorney who practices in the county where you got stopped. That lawyer would have the best knowledge of the DA's policies regarding getting tickets like yours reduced so that you don't lose your license and minimizing points on your license and insurance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two previous tickets. Both tickets I went over the speed limit by 9 mph within the past year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have enclosed a copy of the previous tickets I have received.03-20-2016 05-20-2016
12-05-2015 01-29-2016
WITHDRAWALS
NO WITHDRAWAL DATA TO REPORT
CONVICTIONS
NO CONVICTION DATA TO REPORT
ACCIDENTS
NO ACCIDENT DATA TO REPORT
RESTRICTIONS: 1 - CORRECTIVE LENSES
NATURE OF RECORD OR DIVISION ACTION
SCHBUS: NOT ELIG FOR SCHOOL BUS DRIVER CERTIFICATION
CONV: (313)SPEEDING ( 64 MPH IN A 55) 3 COURT: CABARRUS COUNTY COURT, NC
COURT: AOC #: 2016IF 703218 CITATION ID:(###) ###-#### CONV: (313)SPEEDING ( 54 MPH IN A 45) 2 COURT: CABARRUS COUNTY COURT, NC
COURT: AOC #: 2015IF 712674
POINTS
**
* * END OF DRIVING RECORD * *
DATE: 09-16-2016
LMT COND
CITATION ID: 074753F5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will this misdemeanor stay on my criminal background report? I am currently a teacher and do not want this ticket to effect my permanent record.

It will but a good attorney could fix this for you and get it reduced to something that could stay off your record. If you have not taken a defensive driving course yet then this could be a way to keep it off your record as well. A local attorney will be well worth it and will probably be able to work a deal that will keep it off your record but with 4 tickets in the past couple of years that also is not a done deal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken a defensive driving class before but it was about 5 years ago in a different state than North Carolina. Will it still help my case to take the defensive driving class now? And will they notify my employer of this misdemeanor?

The will not notify your employer. Yes it will help your case as it could get your ticket dismissed and also reduce the points on the record. Again, a local attorney will be very helpful and in conjunction with a defensive driving course can probably keep this off your record but again the court might not like the excessive amount of tickets but you should be eligible to take another class since the last one you took is 5 years ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.