Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I can't find the Title to my car and I want to sell the car.

Customer Question

I can't find the Title to my car and I want to sell the car. what do I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Georgia

Thank you for your reply.

You need to fill out a form MV-1 and if there was a lien on the title, you may need a lien release form. You bring those forms to the DMV with your license and DMV will issue a duplicate title to you for your car.

Here is the Form MV-1: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/mv-1-dor-motor-vehicle-titletag-application

Here is the lien release if you had a lien on the title: http://gwinnetttaxcommissioner.publicaccessnow.com/Portals/0/PDF/T4.pdf

You would also need proof of insurance card with your license. This is done at your local county tax commissioner's office or the DMV office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This car has been paid off for about three years. Do I have to fill out the part of the form "seller section"?

Thank you for your reply.
No, as long as there was no lien on the title you do not have to fill in that form either. You are filling it out for a duplicate title, so seller is not necessary.