How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 13479
Experience:  Experience in numerous areas of the law.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks, I got a 87 on 65 in NY state, I have a NJ

Customer Question

thanks, ***** ***** a 87 on 65 in NY state, I have a NJ points move accros states?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I got the ticket from the officer
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the ticket is from NY my licencese from NJ
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just if it makes sense to get a lawyer or not
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, unfortunately, the points do transfer. Both New York and New Jersey are members of the Driver’s License Compact and communicate traffic violations between each other.

A New Jersey driver that is convicted of a moving violation in New York will be given 2 points by New Jersey’s Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC). This point transfer is regardless of how many points New York assigns to the violation and assumes that New Jersey has a similar or like offense within its laws.

It's certainly worth speaking with a traffic lawyer in New York about the traffic ticket first before simply paying the fine, because of course the points can have a negative effect on your insurance rates. You may be able to argue the ticket, or at least keep the points off your license by doing something like a defensive driving class, so your insurance doesn't go up.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.

Was there some additional information or clarification I could provide? If so, please reply, as I'm happy to assist further!

If not, please kindly remember at this time to click on the stars to leave me a positive rating, as that is the only way experts are paid on this site. Thank you!