Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Was wondering if you could give me an overview on what might

Customer Question
happen at my future court...
Was wondering if you could give me an overview on what might happen at my future court date
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: Georgia..driving while suspended, but my license isn't from ga it's from nj
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not just would like to know the penalties if any
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Wasn't aware my license was suspended , just had them reinstated in jersey before I moved to ga this past year. Suspended due to non payment of traffic fines so they say
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
8/13/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Hammer O'Justice

Hello.

Just to clarify, your license in New Jersey was reinstated and then it was suspended again there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
within the period of 3-6 months

OK, thank you.

If this is your first offense, the penalty for driving on a suspended license in Georgia is 2 days to 12 months in jail. It is a misdemeanor. It also carries a fine of up to $1000.

Because the charge is a misdemeanor as opposed to a simple infraction and does carry the possibility of jail time (even if it is unlikely you would actually get a jail sentence), it is a good idea to get a lawyer to go to court with you. Most will do it for a flat fee, and if you can't afford a lawyer, you may qualify for the public defender.

I would also suggest clearing your license up in the interim. If you can show the court that you have reinstated your license, the court will typically go easier on you and sometimes the prosecutor may even agree to drop the charges in a situation like that, particularly since you were unaware you were suspended.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The nj system is making it extra difficult to handle anything before my court date
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
first offense no .never had a license in ga but this is my new home
Which nj is aware of but never sent no info on anything pertaining to new suspension. The court in nj is suspending my license without even knowing it from what I was told

It is still possible to get a decent outcome since you are a first offender even if you can't get your license straightened out before the court date. It just helps. I would still suggest getting an attorney to explain the situation to the prosecutor to see if they will cut you a break due to NJ not notifying you of the suspension.

Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney