How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sent in for a replacement for a lost title for my Mazda

Customer Question

I sent in for a replacement for a lost title for my Mazda Miata 1999. The reponse came back that there is a lien on the car by AMSOUTH. The car has been paid off for over
15 years and I am in NM and the car is in CA. I researched AMSOUTH had found that
the company has not in business since its resale and the company that bought has been
out of business since 2006.
What followup must I retain to get the title replaced?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to get the lien removed, you would have to file suit in court as a petition to quiet title and vacate lien, since the company is no longer in business. You would have to serve them through the secretary of state's office and then when nobody responds to the suit you would have to get the judge to release the lien on the title and then you can get a clear title. Unfortunately, in this type of situation only a court can release the lien if the lienholder is out of business and cannot be contacted to provide you a release of lien letter.