N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

We bought a used car (88 trans am) in Nevada (private sale)

Customer Question

We bought a used car (88 trans am) in Nevada (private sale) around the 4th of July. It is at the mechanics (here in California)for some upgrades and repairs. Any idea what needs to be done to have it registered in California? We obviously cant drive it out until they are done with it but want to be in compliance. There's a good chance it'd pass emissions prior to repairs being made (maf sensor and tps being replaced), paint job and alignment, but would rather wait, just in case.

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Is the car registered in your name in Nevada?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** title. But didnt register in Nevada as I only bought there, while on vacation. Intend on registering it here in California, where i reside.

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle) is explained at

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9

I hope this information is helpful.