How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 29784
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in an accident and was charged with careless driving

Customer Question

I was in an accident and was charged with careless driving because I rear ended the car in front of me and had no way out of it. I guess my question is how can I go about with getting this lowered to following too closely or a lesser charge other than careless driving?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The prosecutor will often reduce the charge if you go in and offer to plead guilty to a lesser offense. This is because it costs the state money to go to trial, and they'd usually rather get the guaranteed conviction. This is a request you can make yourself, or you can hire a lawyer to try to get the ticket reduced for you. However, you should know that even if you plead to a lesser offense like following too closely, you will be conclusively presumed to be responsible for the accident in any related civil action. So if you're disputing liability, you'd want to try to get the ticket completely dismissed.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Traffic Law Questions