How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 35001
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would you need to do if you are not able to provide the

Customer Question

What would you need to do if you are not able to provide the buyer of your car and they where involved in an accident with your name still on the vehicle?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Can you perhaps give some context? What happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright here is my issue that im currently in, I sold my Toyota Corrolla 1994 about a year and half or maybe 2 years ago to a new owner the name of Hernadez. I sold the vehicle for a 500 because it wasnt working anymore soo basically take as is right and also did everything you need to do when you sell a vehicle but the only thing i didnt do was made a copy of the release form etc for myself but i mailed the original papers to DMV. Then just about may of this year i receive a letter from crs department. And geico saying they need my insurance information to cover an accident claim that my vehicle was involved in, the price

is 955.26 cents. Soo when i called the CRS department why was i charged for thats when they told me my car that i used to own was involved in a car accident on april the 26th of this i dont have any paper work of the transfer to the new owner and the date of when i sold it and new owner information to prove to crs and geico that i sold the car. So now im stuck with the car that is under my name with accident cause that comes with it even though the car was not my property for almost 2 years phillip can you help me what should i do?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.


You mention you mailed the proof of sale to DMV? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea i did

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea i did sent it out

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.


If you sent out the notice to DMV that the car was sold? Then you have no legal liability for incidents that happen after the sale. You can ignore are not liable for an accident caused by the new car owner.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.