How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any way that I can get it transferred to my county?

Customer Question

Is there any way that I can get it transferred to my county? So that I am able to do the first offenders program.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the county where the incident occurred is the only county where there is jurisdiction. So you cannot go court shopping for a better deal. Even though there may be no first offender's program in your area, your attorney can still seek a deferred judgment, which is where you pay the fine and do the sentence (probation, substance abuse class whatever) and upon successful completion the court will dismiss the charges. So your attorney can still work out a deal with the prosecutor on your case even without the county having a first offender program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The officer told me that this will not go on my record because it's a summons offense. I don't know how much of that is true because the officer also told me that I wouldn't be getting my licenses suspended at all. That is why I think it's a little much for them to be able to take my licenses away and tell me I can not drive to work or school for 90 days.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The officer telling you that is not a lie that would qualify you to have the ticket dismissed though. The police do not make those decisions, the judge does. You can appeal the suspension of your license based on the fact you were not driving at the time of the alleged offense. Also, the DMV can issue you a hardship license for driving to school or work. Unfortunately, the fact is underage drinking is against the law, so there are some consequences for that and as I said, there are things you can do with an attorney to minimize this such as getting a deal for a lesser offense, so in these cases it is well worth paying a local attorney to represent you.