How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Kal Your Own Question
Legal-Kal, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Legal-Kal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to reopen a case that was already judged last

Customer Question

Is it possible to reopen a case that was already judged last month , because I wasn't with it , nor did I know the ramifications of pleading guilty?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

May I ask, as it is relevant to the question, in which state would this matter be in and what date was the plea entered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The accident occurred in Colo, Iowa and the and the case was heard in Ames, Iowa .The accident occurred approximately Sunday June 5, 2016 .
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

An individual who enters a plea of guilty may seek to withdraw it by filing a Motion in Arrest of Judgment setting forth the legal basis for the attempt to withdraw the plea of guilty. These motions/requests are not automatic but up to the Court. There are requirements for these motions. They must be filed:

1) Within 45 days of the date that the plea was accepted; and

2) Within 5 days prior to the sentencing.

Any questions based on this? If so, please ask and I can provide further information.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When does sentencing typically follow a finding of guilty ? ?
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.
That is different in every case. Some courts sentence a person the same day they please guilty, other courts continue the matter to a later date for sentencing. You would definitely know if you were sentenced (because the court tells you the sentence, I.e., fines, community service, etc.).
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

As a reminder, a response to your most recent question has been posted. If you have questions based on this, please ask.