Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

This question is about a car title. I have a 20 yo Camry

Customer Question

This question is about a car title.
I have a 20 yo Camry that was sitting at a friend's house. I let the registration lapse and it was towed. I don't have the title, someone who kept that information passed away and no one can find it.
I'm about to go on a 13 day trip and my car is in the impound lot accumulating fees. They said if I sign it over to them all is ok on the fees. Is there a way to QUICKLY get a duplicate title so that I can sign it over to them? It's in police impound.
Thanks for any advice and help! I live in LA, California btw. Im not sure what category to put this under. Thanks again.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I do not see how you can obtain the Duplicate Certificate of Title without a release from the original seller. Here is more information on obtaining Duplicate Certificate of Title:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr10

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.