Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I want to know, how to drive a car purchased from

Customer Question
Massachusetts legally to New Jersey...
I want to know, how to drive a car purchased from Massachusetts legally to New Jersey with an international driving license? I did no get my work permit yet and SSN yet. What are the required documents?
The main problem is Massachusetts does not issue a temporary registration.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/28/2016
Traffic Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Good morning. You can drive legally with your international license between states. The other option would be to see if the car dealer will issue a temporary dealer license plate to transport the car, or register the car in New Jersey and then go back to Mass with the license plates and insurance cards. Unfortunately, each state regulates vehicle registration independently and there is no federal system in place. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it is not possible to register the car without NJ driving license and SSN. Is it possible to sell the car after titling it in NJ but without proceeding with registration?Is it legal to transport the car from MA to NJ without plates?
What should be done if the dealer refused to issue temporary plates.?
Awaiting your reply as soon as possible
Thanks
You would need the social security in NJ, and an in state license prior, so if you can't obtain either then they will not let you register in NJ. You can't drive the car without plates because it is a criminal charge to operate s vehicle without plates and registration in every state. You can sell it, but to register the title they will want proof of residency and the social security. Based upon your facts the only option would be dealer playes to transport to NJ.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can i sell it without titling the car in New Jersey?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible to sell it with my name written on the back of the current title of the owner as the new owner? Or I have to title it in New Jersey under my name to sell it?

Yes. You can sell the car with the original title you signed when you purchased the car.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no place to write the new seller on the original title. This is why i wanna know how to sell it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think this is the standard title of MA
http://www.wheelsforwishes.org/static/img/titles/Massachusetts.jpg

The dealer must complete the RMV-1 and mail it in. After that a title will be issued in your name and mailed to you from the DMV. You can Title and not register in Mass, after that you will have a new title in your name you can sign when selling the car.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You mean the dealer must complete the RMV-1 and mail it to DMV in Massachusetts and After that a title will be issued in my name and mailed to me from the DMV of Massachusetts ? I currently reside in New Jersey and the dealer said that the buyer is required to title the vehicle in their respective state.Does this mean i have to wait until he dealer mail the RMV-1 to New Jersey DMV to get the title under my name to be able to move the car from Massachusetts and sell it?Thank you

Yes. That correct.

KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer