How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116814
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a speeding tkt in Delaware Co NY and I live in

Customer Question

I received a speeding tkt in Delaware Co NY and I live in NC. The tkt was issued for 80 in a 55. Is it worth contesting with legal representation on my behalf? Could I lose my NC license? Thank you for any assistance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, it is worth contesting. You would not lose your license, but the fine could be considerably over $500, plus about a $100 surcharge from the court, since this is over 31 above the speed limit. NC will not suspend your license unless NY issues a suspension though. So you would not get points on your NC license for an out of state violation, but your insurance company can use that to raise your rates and the fines in NY can be steep, so it actually is in your best interest to contest it and at the very least seek to get it knocked down to below 30 over the limit which can actually decrease your fine by 1/2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it was 65mph road and I was going 84mph. Not what was typed above. What am I looking at for fines at this speed if I do not contest it? Or what would I be looking at in lawyer fines if I did? Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You are looking at a fine of $300 plus a $100 surcharge and in addition your insurance rates go up for up to 3-4 years. So it is more than the $400 in fines that you see on the initial face of it. An attorney will cost you about $400, but by getting a reduction to a "speeding sign" violation (which has no points and no surcharges) or possible dismissal would be invaluable for the long term when it comes to insurance.