Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I got NY state speed tickets and FLD due care veh stopped or

Customer Question
I got NY state speed...
I got NY state speed tickets and FLD due care for HAZ veh stopped or standing at same time. But I am living in the KY Louisville,
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: the tickets need sent back to NY before 6/27. I feel not fair to me to got these tickets when I driving my car passby the NY on 5/12/16, but current I am residency in Louisville KY. So I dont know how to do with is ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: when I driving at that time, I don't think I was speeding over 20miles, the speed limit is 65. because there has a road construction
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/25/2016
Traffic Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn that you were cited while traveling in New York.

Unfortunately you must deal with the citations in New York state (there is no provision to deal with a citation you receive out of state in your home state, and there is a great deal of authority to the contrary).

If your citation requires an appearance in New York, you can retain a lawyer to represent you in New York. In many cases, the New York attorney will be able to represent you in the court proceeding without requiring you to actually travel.

(However you must actually have someone make the courtroom appearance, failure to do so, will lead to a "Failure to Appear" and can lead to a warrant for your arrest).

If your citation is only for a fine (you can plead guilty and pay the fine), you can usually do this either by mail or on the court's website.

But you must deal with the New York citation.

(If you want to contest the citation you can (but pleading that the citation is unfair based on what you posted above is not going to work, if you were traveling 65 mph in a construction zone, the court will assess the fine)).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney