How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a traffic ticket in nc said I was going 21 miles over

Customer Question

I have a traffic ticket in nc said I was going 21 miles over the speed limit I can not have a criminal charge due to being a nurse
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't want any more points on my license
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

Well, this will not be a considered a criminal charge, so you do not need to worry about that. However, a speeding ticket for 21 miles over the speed limit is serious, it does carry points, and it does not allow you to avail yourself of some of the opportunities offered to offenders in North Carolina with speeding tickets for 15 miles, or less, over the speed limit.

If you really want to avoid the points, I would suggest you hire a lawyer who practices very often in the county where you were ticketed. This will insure that you get the best outcome possible because your attorney is going to have to seek a plea bargain for you wherein you plead guilty to a lesser charge, and hopefully something without any points. If your lawyer is familiar with the judge and prosecutor, this will help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, or do not want to hire one, you can still attempt to enter into a plea bargain. You will need to notify the Court as soon as possible that you are contesting the ticket and will be appearing in Court. Then, once at Court, tell the Prosecutor your situation and see if he will permit you to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Your ability to plea bargain will be limited by your prior driving record. If you have prior offenses, the Court will be less inclined to allow a plea bargain for no points.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions. Thanks!

Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

I never heard back from you on this. Did you have any further questions? Please provide a rating so I receive credit for my prompt response.