How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal Your Own Question
legal, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 9996
Experience:  General Practitioner. Research Attorney
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in the military stationed in Germany. I had a DUI on

Customer Question

I was in the military stationed in Germany. I had a DUI on base. The military handled every aspect of the DUI. I was punished, fined and attended the Alcohol Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Program. I completed the requirements and my license was reinstated. However the military reported the DUI to my licensing state, South Carolina. I then completed all the requirements for South Carolina as far as SR22, Reinstatement fee, Surrender License. Now I am trying to have South Carolina's requirement for Alcohol Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Program completed. They are informing me I must attend their course to have my suspension lifted. I am living overseas and I can not be enrolled in a DUI course because there is no record of my DUI in the German legal system. I also can not quit my job and move back to South Carolina to attend this course. As stated before the military handled everything and I completed the Alcohol Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Program on base. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  legal replied 1 year ago.

They do make accommodations for people that are located out of state- they need to get permission from their ADSAP officer - so since one is overseas and there is no comparable course, one can request permission for an online course.

Please note there will be no contempt of court for failure to timely register if there is a valid reason (ie being out of the country and waiting for the military to process it).

I have tried to locate an online course that is approved by SC but it appears that one will need to seek permission from the ADSAP officer directly.

You can locate your office (based on county of residence) here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legal replied 1 year ago.

The relevant law is located here: - section 56-5-2930 et seq

Thank you for using JA! I hope this information is useful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  legal replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome!

Expert:  legal replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please don't forget to rate positively so the site credits me for assisting you. Thanks and take care.