Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was driving my friend and had accident and after accident

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I was driving my friend and had accident and after accident I found that he doe's not insurance this happened in 2/2015 now other party requesting DMV to suspend my license and plate because I was not have that car insurance
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet I just received that letter yesterday
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just one thing when I find out my friend who own that car does not have insurance so I present my own car insurance at accident time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is I had accident in 2/2015 and I was driving my friend's car and I did know at accident I found and at accident time I present my insurance. Now other party insurance company requesting DMV to suspend my license and plate because I had no insurance at accident time for my friend's car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean I didn't know he had no insurance for that car
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I understand your facts but I need you to ask a specific question so I know how to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Other insurance can request DMV to suspend my license and plate?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

They can.

The insurance laws put the burden on the driver to be sure there is insurance whether they won the car or not.

However, if you were not liable for the wreck then you can defend against it and if there is no judgment then you would not get your license suspended or if you work out a payment plan to repay the insurance company for the money they spent then you can keep your license.

You may want to consider hiring a local lawyer to negotiate with them and to see if they can work out an agreement to keep your license. A local lawyer wouldn't charge much to assist you with this.

You would want to find one who does either Consumer Law or Civil Litigation. You can find one at www.lawyers.com.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have one more question I received a letter copy from other party insurance company which they send it to DMV and requesting to sespend my license and plate, but there is no sue or judgement but in that letter they request to DMV to keep my license and sespend until I pay the loose but they never asked any money to pay and I m keep asking I m willing to work out the damage but they are not answering me but they send the letter to DMV to sespention of my license and plate.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Usually the DMV will contact you about it and at that point you can tell them you're trying to reach a resolution. Until they give an amount to somebody obviously it can't be resolved. As I said, the best solution is to hire a local lawyer to write a few letters for you. That should resolve the whole matter.