Taylor
Taylor, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
87350578

I got a notice from NJ DMV this week that my NJ license was

Customer Question

I got a notice from NJ DMV this week that my NJ license was suspended when I am in PA with PA state license.
I have moved from NJ to MI in Oct, 2015 and changed my insurance/registration to MI in Nov, 2015 but I did not return the NJ plates immediately.
I have again moved from MI to PA in Mar, 2016 and changed my insurance/registration/title to PA. I have returned my NJ plates in May, 2016.
I have received the notice today which was forwarded from my old address.
Does this impact my current PA license?
Should I just pay the fees and get it restored?
Does this suspension impact my driving history?
Should I still need to pay the fine ($200) as I did return the plates and do not see any time frame for returning the plates on NJ DMV website?
Should I approach the lawyer?
How should I approach this issue?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I want to welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend paying that fine just to avoid it increasing or the fact that if you go back to NJ you don't want that hanging over your head. Each state is independent of itself and so the NJ issue will not impact your PA license. The suspension will not affect your driving history.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Does that adequately answer your questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I have read online that there is some national registry for DMVs which is updated across US and my PA license would also be suspended if I do not pay the fees and get it restored in NJ. Is this true?
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

was your license just recently suspended in NJ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The notice says it was suspended as of Apr 26, 2016 but the notice is dated May 08, 2016 and I have received it this week which was forwarded from my old address.
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

In that case i would definitely resolve the issue in NJ so they do not suspend your license and cause you any headaches down the road. I was thinking it was suspended years ago. I would contact the NJ dmv who issued the notice and ask them what it is about and if the plate issue resolved it

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I would bet returning the plates and paying the fine would resolve your suspended license.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just have one final question, how could they suspend my NJ license when it is already cancelled when I moved to MI and changed my license to MI.
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

I would bet it was never cancelled in the system until you returned the plates. a call to the dmv would resolve that question way easier than i can unfortunately.

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

if you are satisfied with my responses, i would greatly appreciate a positive rating! have a great weekend.