Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

What can I expect if I was video taped cutting off another

Customer Question

What can I expect if I was video taped cutting off another motorist. I didn't get pulled over just the video of the other motorist. It happened in NJ
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice /legal service you should contact a local attorney.

Who video recorded you?

Was anyone injured?

Were you contacted by the police or anyone else?

Please provide me more details so I can better understand the situation related to your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person I cut off was the one videoing. No one was injured. I was not contacted by the police, this happened yesterday morning.

Thank you for your follow up.

Where did it happen and why did you cut off the other motorist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened in NJ. I cut the motorist off because I was in a hurry.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you think your license plates were captured on the video?

Did this happen on the street or highway (I understood that it happened in NJ)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my license was captured. It happened on a street. With four lanes. Two in each direction.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, in NJ, a motorist can report the incident to the police and police would view the video and will determine whether the cutting off captured on the video amounts to a traffic violation or even a crime and it can range from traffic violations such as improper lane change or careless driving to reckless driving which is a misdemeanor crime.

In any case, it is generally important not to make any statements about the incident to anyone and if contacted by the police not to say anything and demand to speak to a local attorney, since anything that the suspect says to the police is usually used against the suspect.

Generally, the more time passes from the time the incident took place, the less likely that it will result in any legal trouble for the driver who cut off another driver on the road.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.