Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

How can I beat a camera ticket in DC?

Customer Question
How can I beat a...
How can I beat a camera ticket in Washington DC?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/6/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. But before we continue, I would like to make sure we're on the same page.. Are you asking how you can get out of a ticket for which there is photographic evidence that you broke the law?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was issued a ticket however the light was yellow when I went through it. What options do I have to win

It's very difficult to win those, but essentially you would need to challenge the ticket and request the evidence they have via discovery which would show that you drove through on yellow. Does that make sense?

Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
DC law says one must stop on a yellow light before entering the nearest crosswalk. So running a yellow light in DC is no different than running a red light. The only way to beat the citation is prove that you were actually beyond that crosswalk when the light turned yellow, so you had no choice but to continue through the light. They will show you the video, so that will be the evidence you have to refute.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney