Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Received traffic citation in pa sec 3111 obedience to

Customer Question
traffic control devices going 59...
Received traffic citation in pa sec 3111 obedience to traffic control devices going 59 in a 40 wiill this be on my driving record? Can this be deffered? Will this result in insurance increase ? Is it worth pleaing not guilty
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/5/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Posted in error.

Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The great news about this is that under 75 Pa.C.S. 3111, while it is unlawful to disobey a device (i.e. a sign) controlling traffic, like a speed limit sign, the offense carries no points to a Pennsylvania driver’s license.
So, you would pay a fine and you get zero points on your license because it is a no point offense.
You can plead not guilty in the hopes the officer will not show up and you can get the charge dismissed and avoid the fine if you want to go to court and spend the time.
It is a summary offense with a fine of about $150 or so, plus court costs and fees.
Generally, if you plead guilty though, it does get reported to PennDOT, even though there are no points, which means insurance companies can use it as a citation to increase insurance rates. Typically if it is your only violation, most insurers will not increase you at one citation.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney