Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

The stop sign ticket was stop sign that I am calling a no

Customer Question

the stop sign ticket was for a stop sign that I am calling a no official stop sign. does not have the county mark. Such as a stop sign in a supermarket.
Do you have a comment?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What state are you in?

Where did you get that the sign has to have the county mark on it to be valid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is for my daughter who never went through the sign. Honor student and
was with my other daughter also an honor student. My kids don't lie. :)
Anyway, They were driving through Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. The stop signs there
are also old, faded and yes no county mark. I drove all over Suffolk county and Nassau county.
All traffic signs have the county mark. These stop signs are similar to a stop sign in a super market.
I don't think they are enforceable. Besides that the officer was a kid and I think pulled my daughters to
mess with them. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told this a long time ago when I was in traffic school. Never forgot.
It was taught by a police officer who was retired. Think about it. Just because there
is a stop sign, (I can buy one myself) I can put it up. Does that mean it is enforceable? I think not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suppose I live on a busy road. I want to slow down traffic. Can I go buy a stop sign and put it up at my house?
I don't think so. That sign needs to be sanctioned and approved. Otherwise we have ciaos.
Thank you for your reply.
On private property, there has to be a local ordinance enforcing the stop signs on the private property. So you need to check with your county clerk for that information. Absent a county ordinance, the stop signs pursuant to NY VTL 1110 have to be on a street or road or at intersection of a private road and public street and in that case they are still enforceable by the police.
If it is all on private property, with no public road connection, then it requires an ordinance and the sign should have a sigh saying traffic laws are enforced on the property by ordinance.

Thank you for using our service. Did you have any further questions for us about this matter?