Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I am a texas resident traveling out of state. In Texas my

Customer Question

I am a texas resident traveling out of state. In Texas my disabled veteran license plate permits me to park in handicap parking. Does this follow me to other states or can I be ticketed if I park in a handicap parking space with my texas disabled veterans plate?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the full faith and credit clause, as your Texas license plate is a valid handicapped license plate that allows you to park in handicapped spots in Texas, the other states must honor that as a valid handicapped plate for their states as well. This is no different than your driver's license being honored in every state you may drive in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this apply to meters? For instance, in Tx when you have a disabled veteran license plate we do not have to pay for meter parking. Does this carry to other states or is that different?

Thank you for your reply.

No, every state and every city is different regarding parking at meters with handicapped plates. You have to check in each city you go to regarding the law on that, but your handicapped plate still allows you to park in any handicapped designated spaces.