How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Person who I was dating who stayed here but did not all the

Customer Question

Person who I was dating who stayed here but did not all the time and his residence is someplace else took my car without permission when I was asleep and he hit another car. He confessed it to one person plus two days prior a friend saw me and the car was intact. He was erratic, seeing things holding weapons and didn't feel safe. When he finally left I fell into a crisis due to my disability tried reporting it twice and I was told since he wasn't there and they didn't know who he hit there was nothing that he could do and the police officer whom I called the police twice and I got him refused to give me an incident number or police report due to he's not around, we'll he's run awau so obviously not deeply committed but insurance company wants police repor5, what do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Tell the office that the insurance company won't pay for the damages to your car until you can produce a police report, so you need it whether they intend to prosecute or not. If he still refuses, ask to speak to a superior officer. This is REALLY common. For most small crimes, police aren't going to do much investigating to find the culprit. But they still need to give you the police report, and this is common practice. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I figured as much and I went ahead and asked to speak to the chief of police and escalated it because the police officer didn't want to hear me out and I have already filed 3 complaints and just wrote to the police chief asking for an appointment
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that they're giving you so much trouble. Keep going. The insurance company isn't going to pay if they think you may have loaned the car to your friend. They need evidence that you didn't, which is the police report. Your only other option is to sue your friend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the kicker he would stay here and there and kept some things here but he would leave for weeks at a time would not change his address to here he has the address where he has lived for the past two years and would go there when he left here he rode a bike not my car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I relay this in the proper manner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have a witness that came and he told him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry two witnesses he told them what he did
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
A letter often has more force than a phone call. If you have a news station that does a consumer reports type of segment, you could see if they'll help. Maybe public pressure will get you the police report.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And that I was livid for him ta king the car without permission and he was going to fix it but he disappeared immediately and I don't know his whereabouts
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You can see if the insurance company will talk to those people, but they're allowed to insist upon a report.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he assaulted me, destroyed my security cameras and wiped them before leaving so I have that report that heLPS too but I will keep it up I'm not settling for a call I asked for an in person sit d9wn5
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. That's all part of the report. He can be sued for all of it. What type of additional information are you looking for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You answered my question they didn't include him and the car because it wasn't reported from the scene of the crime and he wasn't present but he wouldn't tell us where exactly and kept threatening to not call the police which is why he wasn't reported then he ended up stealing my safe
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't make any sense. You're not required to report a crime from the exact place where it happened.