How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116740
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm the owner of a car impounded in pleasant hill. It was impounded

Customer Question

I'm the owner of a car impounded in pleasant hill. It was impounded because expired plates (due to not pass smog) and my son driving with a suspended license (non-moving violations). As the owner, the police department will not release the car unless my son (non-owner of the car) gets his license reinstated. He's paid his fine, has receipts, but won't get his license processed for another 21 days. Why, as the owner of the car, can't I get my car out and not incur all these storage costs?
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Traffic Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Traffic Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If your son was driving the car, they will not release the car without a court order. This means your son has to go to court with you and you have to ask the court for an order to release the car. The owner of the vehicle in these cases is liable for these violations and as such, they will hold the car until the matter is corrected or you get an order from the court for release.