How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  15 years exp in driving issues
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost my ca drivers lis then I got a temp. I am travelin

Customer Question

I lost my ca drivers lis then I got a temp. I am travelin to Atlanta to see my son. I am a cancer patient and this is very important. I purchased a tic for American airlines for Wed. aWhat can I do - Its already mon night. Please help me I can supply you with more infom. I am a us citizen never had a passport. I am 74 was bornT in pittsburgh pa in 1941
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --It is true that you need a picture ID to board a plane at the airport for domestic travel, However, the airlines and the Airport security guards (including the guards employed by the US Transportation Security Agency ("TSA" for short) are all aware that California has a backup of issuance of permanent driver's licenses and there are no issues with you using the temporary CA driver's license as your identification to board the plane. However, in addition to the temporary ID that you were issued by CA, you should also bring with you the expired CA driver's license (to show that the photos and addresses match, at the very least) and you should also bring with you any other ID cards that you might have (such as a senior citizen ID or a library card ID and any major credit cards that you have ) because either the airline or TSA or both will ask for additional pieces of ID to show that you really are the person depicted in all of the documents that you have for your identity.-In order the the airline and the TSA to accomplish what they must do in reviewing more than one piece of identification (even if it is just your old driver;s license and your temporary driver's license that they are comparing to the ticket information) they will need MORE time to review your materials and perhaps search your luggage before boarding you and your luggage onto the plane (it is up to the TSA whether or not they want to search any of your belongings or your person at any time, whether you have the appropriate ID cards or not but in situations like yours where you must cobble together a couple of ID cards to show definitively who you are, it is more likely that the TSA will search at least your carry on luggage before permitting you to board) --- and so under these circumstances, you should arrive at the airport at least an hour and a half to two hours before your flight is set to depart so that you have plenty of time to explain the situation and show additional ID cards (including your old CA drivers license) and you leave plenty of time for the TSA to search your carry on luggage if they are so inclined to do so. While it makes common sense for them not to generally search elderly people, the TSA are sticklers and if your ID situation is a bit lengthy or additional documents are used for your ID to board the flight, then the TSA will most likely perform a more thorough search than usually happens on persons with the appropriate current CA driver's license. -So, bring your old CA drivers license and present it with your Temporary CA drivers license with your ticket to the agent at the airlines customer service booth to register for the flight. Explain the situation and be ready to present any other pieces of ID that you might have and/or to answer a few security questions (such as your mother's maiden name or where was your former address -- that sort of thing) and you should not have any troubles getting boarding passes for the plane for your trip this coming Wednesday. I do hope you enjoy your time with your son in Atlanta and I wish you nothing but the best of luck. -I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you today ( if you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star then you are pressing a positive rating!!) . Pressing a positive rating above simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to give me credit for the time assisting you today and doing so will not cost additional money. A bonus box will also appear after you press a positive rating and any bonus is greatly appreciated as it is directed specifically to me once the question is completed. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!=MARY