CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I got clocked going 66 in a 35. What is going to happen to

Customer Question

I got clocked going 66 in a 35. What is going to happen to me? Am I going to jail
JA: The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. They said they would call me in the morning
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: They haven't consulted with me yet
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Okay. I am a Air Force ROTC cadet. I don't have any prior tickets. I deliver pizzas for dominos. So I was on a delivery and I got caught going over. I was going 66 in a 35. The officer let me go, but I have to show up at court at a later date and I have no idea what i got myself into
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Other than I just got picked up to go to field training for the Air Force. I have no idea what is going to happen now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,A citation for that speed is generally prosecuted as a misdemeanor as opposed to a traffic citation. Did your citation give you the statute that you are being cited/charged with? (If so, please note the state, your question does not give a state).If you are facing a misdemeanor, having counsel is generally a good idea. A criminal defense attorney is not going to charge a lot for this type of matter, but it is probably worthwhile - while most of these misdemeanors end with fines and possibly probation as opposed to jail time, it is generally well worth the investment in an attorney to minimize your exposure.As far as your ROTC scholarship, I cannot guarantee anything, but in general, this issue is not likely to cause any significant issues with that program. However, much of this will depend on minimizing the effect of the citation/charges to a minimum - hopefully you can find a prosecutor that is willing to allow this to be charged as a citation as opposed to a misdemeanor (a clean record, working college student, enrolled in ROTC, makes for a very sympathetic case, and your attorney should be able to negotiate something in your favor).