Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a travel trailer that is in both mine and my ex husbands

Customer Question

I have a travel trailer that is in both mine and my ex husbands name. I was awarded the trailer in the divorce, I have the trailer but he had the title and is saying he doesn't have it, nor can I get him to sign off on a new copy of the title. I need to sale trailer but can't cause I don't know how I can get it out of his name legally without his actual signature. I have no idea where to find him, besides its not safe for me to even be around him since the reason I am not with him is because he threatened to kill me. So how can I get the trailer into just my name so that I can sale it. Thanks for California!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he will not surrender the title and will not cooperate in getting a new title, you would file a motion for an order to show cause for contempt of court in the court where your divorce was ordered. The court will force him to either sign the documents or will issue a court order to issue title in your name. The court will also sanction him for not cooperating with you to get this done and will make him pay your costs and attorney's fees for having to take this matter to court instead of settling it like adults as expected by the court.